Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Kindest Words

Yesterday I had to take Soren to Speech Therapy. Because of this, I wasn't able to pick Moira up from school. So my friend Pina picked Mo up when she was picking her own children up. She has three wonderful kids. A twin boy and girl who are in Mo's grade. The boy is in Mo's class. He is a sweetheart. The girl and Mo get along famously. Two girls who have brothers and need another girl around.

And then there's Pina's oldest son, Dominic, who is about 8 years old. I went to pick up Moira and chose to carry Soren in. Sometimes pullling out his stroller and hefting it up stairs is just too much. So I had Soren on my shoulder and Dominic came up to me and asked, "Do you have enough money to help him?"

I was stunned. I didn't expect this from a little boy. I thanked him for asking and told him, yes, we had enough to help Soren this December and again in June. And, thanks to everyone's generosity, it looks like we'll be able to go again December of 2007. That's 3 more injections!

And after what we saw this weekend we couldn't be more excited. Saturday morning we went to our Epilepsy Support Group. There we saw Clayton, the boy we first met who had had such success with the stem cell treatments. Well, he has now had 5 injections. When I saw him Saturday, I was stunned. He was sitting independently on the floor, perfectly balanced and in control of his body. When Aaron went to say hi to Clayton, Clayton got up, walked up to Aaron without assistance, and hugged him! This charged Aaron and I up SO much, giving us more hope for Soren's future.

But back to Dominic, after I told Dominic that we would have enough money to help Soren, Pina told me that Dominic liked Soren and worried about him. I told Dominic that Soren liked him too. Soren likes anyone who likes him.

But I was so touched by this boy's earnest question. Could we help Soren? And I could honestly tell him that we're doing everything we can to help Soren. And it's good to know there are people, young and old, checking in to see that we do.

Amy

No comments: