Saturday, May 06, 2006

A Special Thank You to a Special Boy

I must take time out to thank Fyn Stec and his parents Dayla and Paul. Fyn is a sweet boy who is almost 5 years old. About a month and a half ago he was diagnosed with a form of liver cancer called hepatoblastoma. He has been undergoing aggressive chemotherapy and, fortunately, the tumors are responding to the treatment and shrinking. Fyn's folks have one insurance that will pay 80% of his medical bills. That leaves 20% of some very expensive bills. Thus, when word got out about Fyn's condition, people starting giving of their hearts and their pocketbooks to help Fyn's parents with these mounting expenses.

Dayla's friend Cindy set up an amazing fundraiser in honor of Fyn hosted at Cartoon Network. Artists gave their work up so willingly that the walls of the studio were covered. There were sculptures, scarves, dolls, and t-shirts. Just the most amazing collection of work I've ever seen. And in the end, they raised over $41,000 for Fyn's fund! People's generosity was astounding.

But what's even more astounding to me is that Dayla and Paul then turned around and gave $10,000 to Soren's Stem Cell fund. Despite going through such a hard and horrible time, they wanted to give to Soren, having known him since birth and seen his struggles. Thanks to their generous donation, we will now be able to go to the DR two more times.

So, I want you all to go to Fyn Stec's Blog. Read his story. And donate to Fyn's Fund! This little boy and his amazing parents need your help!


No comments: