Friday, October 19, 2007

Noah's Ark at The Skirball Center

Soren and Moira had the day off from school today so we went to the Noah's Ark exhibit at The Skirball Center. It was amazing. It's bascially this interactive play place for kids. There are things to climb on, wheels to spin, cranks to turn, things to touch, and a craft project.

I'd like to say that Soren had a great time, but today was a day when it overwhelmed him. There was a lot of noise and tons to look at, so I can't blame him. Still, on another day, I could see him totally digging it. He did complete the craft project with me, which was nice.

Moira, on the other hand, had a blast. We were there for an hour and a half and she could have stayed longer. Regardless of Soren's reaction, if you have a special needs kid or a typical kid, I would totally recommend it. The space is all wheelchair accessible (granted, if your child can walk and climb, there are a few more things to do). But it's easy to get around and quite inviting.

The staff was great getting kids involved in stuff. They even have fake poop to scoop. That cracked me up. But that's the reality of the ark. At one point, they called a musical circle time where we all got instruments and played games. This is when Soren shut down completely. Rather typical for him (well, not typical typical, but you know what I mean). I got him out of his seat, sat with him on the floor, and he was bucking like a bronco into my chest plate because of the noise. Then he conked out and slumped over through 95% of the activity. At the end, he woke up and actually tolerated me hitting his hands on the drum.

But really, if you're here in L.A., you should go. And take your time. There is more to see than you realize. The animals are all made out of cool, recyclable materials. It's fun to see what they did. I have no idea if it's a permanent exhibit. You have to get reservations ahead of time to enter. You can do this online or by phone. I had Soren touching and doing various things so it was a stimulating learning experience (albeit a frustrating one). He talked all the way home. Probably saying, "What the hey was that, Mom!" But still, better to get a reaction, even if it's a negative one.

Amy

No comments: